Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Case of the Dueling Kitchenaid's and the Strawberry Dream Cake

OK on my now weekly adventure in baking I had the most popular result (so far) as voted by hungry medical people. So a little back story on the mixers. I have had my plain white Kitchenaid mixer for 30 years. I won't go into the details of who got it for me suffice it to say I should have known when I was gifted a white one that things weren't right. Nonetheless it has been a workhorse in my kitchen. I had always hoped to give it to one of my kids so I might purchase a shiny new color for myself. Well darn if those kids don't have their own mixers. My daughters is sunshine yellow and I think my son's might be stainless. About a year ago, due to unforeseen circumstances, my whisk attachment broke, while in use by a friend. So I have been using the mixer successfully with the other attachments, alas no whisk. Lo and behold a thing of beauty, this Christmas Santa's elves (and since I'm Santa that must mean my kids are the elves) gifted me a shiny red Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer!!!! Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I am in heaven but I couldn't bear to part with the little engine that could so I have both mixers now. Well this week was a first an opportunity to use them at the same time. I felt so happy to have them side by side and reflective in a good way that my life has gone from white to shiny red !
Please enjoy this great recipe for Strawberry Dream Cake from Southern Living Magazine, perhaps one of the best cakes I've ever tasted.
Ingredients
whisking together dry ingredients

 Dueling Kitchenaids

 First Layer
Filling in the gaps
 My good luck spatula
 Ready for the fridge


Review - Amazing cake, could use more icing, cream broke slightly but did not affect taste and icing set and smoothed out while refrigerated. Tasters gave rave reviews . This one is a keeper !

Degree of Difficulty 6 of 10 spatulas. 

Baker's tip - when frosting place small pieces of parchment on cake plate before placing first layer down to frost after all frosting is complete remove parchment and the edges are clean and pretty !

Recipe
Strawberry Dream Cake
Southern Living Magazine
Cake

8 ounces softened salted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, separated
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
about 24 large fresh strawberries

Frosting
8 ounces softened mascarpone cheese
2/3 cup granulated sugar (divided)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit, grease and flour 2 9" cake pans. Beat the butter at medium speed until fluffy, gradually add sugar, beating well. Add the egg yolks one at a time beating until just blended after each addition.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until just blended, add the vanilla and almond extracts.
3. In another bowl beat the egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold about one third of the egg whites into the batter; fold in remaining egg whites in two batches. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean(28-32 minutes) Cool in pans for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack and completely cool for about an hour.
5. Meanwhile, cut a thin slice from the stem end of each washed strawberry to form a flat base, set aside.
6. Make frosting: Gently stir 1/3 cup sugar and mascarpone cheese in a medium bowl. Beat whipping cream and vanilla and almond extracts in a mixer until foamy increase speed and slowly add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beat until stiff peaks form. Fold one third of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture and then the remaining mascarpone fold into the cream in two batches.
7. Place cooled cake layer on serving platter, spread with frosting and top with strawberries. Place about 1 1/2 cups frosting in a baggie, snip end and pipe frosting in between strawberries. Gently spread more frosting on top of strawberries.
8. Place second layer of cake on berry layer spread with remaining frosting. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment